May 9, 2012


It’s taken me a little while, but I am now fully settled in my new home in Saint-Raphael, France! Between traveling, training, racing, eating, jet lag, and no internet or phone, it has been hard for me to keep up with anything let alone blog posts. Things have finally mellowed out a bit, plus I have a recovery day and full stomach, so get your reading glasses out stat!

I’ve never been much of a traveler, in fact, I hate traveling. I never get excited about going new places, seeing new things, or being in new environments. For some people it is a life-long dream to be able to see the world, but for me, I’m just here for the competitions and developing myself as a professional triathlete. I have taken a few pictures though, so hopefully with the next couple blogs and photos you can live vicariously through me and enjoy this experience as well.

So after my Mazatlan (Mexico) race, I came home to Santa Cruz for two days to get a little bit of training in and finish getting ready for my 10 week European adventure. Surprisingly I got everything handled that needed to be taken care of and before I knew it I was on my way. After a long 10hr flight from San Francisco to London (sitting next to an annoying drunk dude) I had to run (with my express pass in hand) through the terminal to get to my gate on time. Not only did I have an extremely short layover, our SFO flight was delayed. Long story short I was literally three minutes late to the gate and missed my flight and had to wait in line for an hour to get another flight which wasn’t for another two hours and that flight also got delayed over an hour. I had to use the “pay per minute” internet at the airport to be able to email the guy who was picking me up in Nice and corrected my arrival time from 6 pm to 10pm. We ended up getting back to my house at about 1130pm, and in France, everything closes at about 8pm. At this point, I have been traveling for about 18hrs, I’m starving and have no food, I have no internet or phone (or charger to charge my ipod or computer), I don’t speak any French, and I’m all by myself. I was so overwhelmed that I didn’t even unpack, I just climbed in bed (which didn’t have any sheets or pillow cases or anything) and went to sleep.

The next day I woke up extremely early and was wide awake because jet lag is a female dog. I unpacked everything except my bike (because we were leaving at 3am the very next day to fly to a race), went for a run, and then waited until 8am when the little market next to where I live opened. At 8 I bought some food and got ready to hitch a ride to the pool (which is about 7-8k away) with some non-English speaking people I was told to meet. That was interesting and a pretty funny experience, but we made it to the pool and luckily there are a couple brothers, Karl and Raoul Shaw, on the Grand Prix team who are completely bi-lingual (French/English) which made things much better. We had a nice easy 3k swim (because we were racing the next day in Sables d’olonne) and right after the swim when I got home I ate the rest of my food, packed for the race, and got in bed with an alarm set for 2am (Sables d’olonne race report).

Everyone at St. Raphael Tri club has been awesome and helped me out a lot. There have been quite a few misunderstandings already, but the pros outweigh the cons and after a week I am getting in the rhythm of things.

Not a very exciting post, but an update as to where I am at as of now. Stay tuned for race reports.

No comments:

Post a Comment